After great delay I finally got around to setting up my SDRPlay RSP1A as a panadapter for my Kenwood TS-590SG. It’s been on my list of things to do but that list has been severely derailed due to on-going health issues. Today I felt almost normal and up to the task. It’s actually not difficult at all but I ran into some odd USB driver issues that impeded progress for a wee bit.
I know that everybody and their mother has a panadapter and I’m way late to the party. There’s probably someone that has a panadapter for their Hallicrafters HT-30 with an Arduino based servo control providing CAT. I’m typically a late adopter.
KA9EAK: Late Adopter
Some representations of this adoption curve label the “Late Adopter” portion of the curve “Laggards.” That seems a bit harsh.
My understanding is that you can use any of a number of SDR receivers for this purpose. I purchased an SDRPlay RSP1A late last fall and so it was available for panadapter duty.
As I said, the configuration isn’t difficult at all. Assuming that you have already installed the Kenwood USB drivers (more on that in a minute) and have successfully configured the Kenwood ARCP-590G Radio Control Program to work with your radio, you are well on your way. The only other piece of hardware you need is an SMA to RCA cable. I found one on eBay.
As for software, my understanding is that there are a number of different applications that you can use for this purpose. I chose to use HDSDR, in my case HDSDR with RSP1A. I ended up having to use OmniRig as well. More on that later.
My approach was a follows:
1) Given that the Kenwood ARCP is working with your radio, note the configuration (Tool\Setup) for COM port and Baud rate.
2) Attach the SMA connector to the RSP1A antenna connector and the RCA connector to the DRV connector on the rear panel of your TS-590SG.
RSP1A and TS-590SG
3) Go into the menu for your TS-590SG and set menu 85, DRV Connector to ANT (see page 52 in the TS-590SG manual.)
TS-590SG Menu 85
4) If you haven’t already done so, install the HDSDR software.
5) In the lower left section of HDSDR you will see some buttons, one will be Options (F7).
You will notice a selection for “CAT to HDSDR.” Initially I attempted to get this to work with no success. I ended up installing OmniRig and while it appeared to work it was intermittent. It would indicate that the radio was on-line for a few seconds and then indicate “rig is not responding.” After a fair amount of troubleshooting (verifying config and connection with the Kenwood software, restarts, etc.) with no success I searched the Internet for the problem and found this thread in the SDRPlay forum:
It was from December 2017 and exactly described the problem. Thankfully it was a complete thread in that it contained a solution as well. I had version 6.7.4 of the Kenwood (actually Silicon Labs) USB driver and it appears that the fix was to go back to version 6.7.3. I changed the driver to the older version and the problem was solved. Is this actually “the fix,” who knows but it worked for me and that’s good enough. The Kenwood ARCP software worked fine after the change.
It may be important to note that you will see a decrease in sensitivity.
So now I have a fully functional panadapter for my 590. As with all SDR’s, it is interesting to “see” radio as opposed to only hearing it. Prior to the wide spread adoption of panadapters, interaction with a radio was sort of the audio equivalent of peering through a narrow keyhole. Now one can see an entire band at once. While I find this relatively new practice of seeing radio interesting, there’s a part of me that likes the notion of the unknown inherent in the turn of the VFO knob.
I’m sure I’ll use the panadapter at times but it’s more likely I’ll simply spin the big knob to hear what’s just out of sight. Out of curiosity, I checked Kenwood’s site for USB drivers for my TS-830S. Oddly they didn’t have any. Maybe there’s a message in that.
PS: If you’re not sure which end of a soldering iron to grasp it might be best to ask for help with this configuration. As with all of this, YMMV. This is what worked for me. If you blow up your RSP1A and your 590SG while simultaneously causing a tear in the space-time continuum you probably should have stayed in bed.
PPS: The picture above was a few minutes before the start of Field Day. This is a few minutes after. Apologies for the difference in detail. There is A LOT more activity indicated on the panadapter.
40M at the start of Field Day